Sunday, October 03, 2010

My Latest Project

I've gone back to work this fall, and my
creative projects have taken a back seat to teaching 12-15 preschoolers for 7 hours a day. Which is exhausting, btw.

But I've had the urge to make a Professor Sprout costume for the past several years, so I finally
did it. Why? Beats me. Maybe I'll wear it for Halloween. Maybe I'll wear it when the new HP movie debuts in November. Maybe I'm just a nerd who likes the idea of having a Prof Sprout costume hanging in my closet in case of emergency. Doesn't really matter. It's done.

Of all the Hogwar
ts characters, I feel closest to Pomona. In every online Sorting Hat poll I've ever taken, I'm always placed in Hufflepuff. No, I don't have a green thumb, and I try to stay relatively clean. But the rest of her description (as taken from the WikiPotter page) and her attitude towards her students seem to fit me well:

Professor Sprout was described as being a small and squat woman with grey, flyaway hair.[6] She usually wore a patched and battered hat.[6] Her clothes were noted to almost always be covered in dirt and earth, as were her dirty fingernails.[6] Sprout also almost always had a smile on her face.[6]

Professor Sprout was noted to be very cheerful, positive and loyal,[6] but was also very professional and just and would chide her students if necessary.[38] Thus, Sprout possessed all of the virtues and aspects belonging to Hufflepuff House. She was kind and nurturing to the students...

Besides, I got to make a baby Mandrake root. I found the most gosh-awful looking baby doll at a thrift store, poked a giant hole in its head, shoved fake greenery in it, covered in in dirt and threw it in a pot. Score!!!

The brown graduation robe was also a thrift store find. The pattern for the hat? 99 cents at a Hancock's sale. The Mandrake label? Printed off someone else's blog. All-in-all, a fairly reasonably priced bit of silliness. Yes, I know I need earmuffs. A pair is on its way via Ebay as I type.

What do you think?

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

Wow! That baby doll *is* gosh awful! Looks like Little Baby Sister Coco (Gah!!). (Lucy is finally in love with those DVDs you brought, btw. She can switch the TV over to the right video input for watching the DVD player, and then she points at the DVD cases and says "puppy!")

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home